If you know me.. you know that these are one of my fortes. Better late than never? I think so. SO, if you too are a belated gift giver.. fear no more, for I have the perfect gift idea for you.
Homemade Strawberry Jam
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- Personally, I'm going with store bought lemon juice. Oops.
- 3 tbs lemon juice = 1 medium sized lemon
- Kerr Mason Jars.. whatever size you so desire
- 1 1/2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- If you are an inexperienced 'huller' as I am, the picture below is for you. (You're just cutting out the top middle part of the strawberry.)
Special Instructions Before You Begin:
You're in need of some jams while you make your jam, I can tell. By the way, the pun was intended. I strongly recommend the following video
- Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over very low heat for 10 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the strawberries and continue to cook over very low heat for 20 minutes, until the strawberries release some of their juices and the mixture boils slowly.
- Pour carefully into your mason jars and either seal or keep refrigerated. Use immediately, or follow proper canning guidelines below.
- Jars should be made from glass and free of any chips or cracks. Preserving or canning jars are topped with a glass, plastic or metal lid, which has a rubber seal. Two-piece lids are best for canning, as they vacuum-seal when processed. I got mine from Wal-mart - they're Kerr's.
- Boil the jars and lids in a large saucepan of water for 15 minutes.